Dress watches are a classic and timeless accessory that can add a touch of sophistication and style to any outfit. Whether you wear your dress watch every day or only on special occasions, it is crucial to take good care of it to keep it in top condition and ensure that it lasts for years. This blog will explore some essential tips and techniques for taking care of your dress watch, including basic upkeep and cleaning.
There are a few simple things you can do to keep your dress watch in good working order and extend its lifespan:
- Keep it wound: If your dress watch is a mechanical watch, it will need to be wound regularly to keep it running. Most mechanical watches should be wound once a day, although some may need to be wound more or less often, depending on their movement. To wind a mechanical watch, turn the crown clockwise until it is fully wound. It is crucial not to overwind the watch, as this can cause damage to the movement.
- Set the time and date: It is vital to keep your dress watch accurate, as this will ensure that it stays on time, and you can rely on it to keep track of your schedule. To set the time and date on a mechanical watch, pull the crown out to the time-setting position and turn it to the desired time. To select the date, pull the crown out to the date-setting position and turn it to the correct date. On a quartz watch, turn the crown in either direction to set the time and date.
- Avoid water: While some dress watches are water-resistant, exposing them to water is generally not a good idea. Water can damage the movement, rust the crown and case, and cause the strap to deteriorate. If you need to wear your dress watch in the water, check the water resistance rating and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Store it properly: When not in use, it is essential to store your dress watch properly to prevent damage. Avoid storing it in direct sunlight or humid environments, as this can cause the watch to deteriorate or the movement to malfunction. It is also a good idea to store your watch in a protective case or box to prevent scratches and other damage.
Over time, your dress watch may accumulate dirt, grime, and sweat, affecting its appearance and performance. It is a good idea to clean your watch regularly to keep it looking its best and ensure running smoothly. Here are some tips for cleaning your dress watch:
- Clean the case and bracelet: To clean the case and bracelet of your dress watch, start by wiping them down with a soft, dry cloth. This will remove any surface dirt or dust. If the watch is filthy, you can use mild soap and water to gently scrub the case and bracelet. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can damage the watch's finish. Dry the case and bracelet thoroughly after cleaning, and use a soft cloth to buff away any streaks or residue.
- Clean the crystal: The crystal of your watch is the transparent cover that protects the dial and hands. It can become scratched or dirty over time, affecting the watch's legibility. To clean the crystal, clean it with a soft, dry cloth. Need to get the grime off of the crystal? Use mild soap like you would with the case. Avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can scratch the crystal. Dry the crystal thoroughly after cleaning, and use a soft cloth to buff away any streaks or residue.
- Clean the movement: If you want to clean the movement of your watch, it is best to take it to a professional watchmaker. The movement is a delicate and intricate mechanism that requires special tools and expertise to clean properly. However, if you are comfortable working with mechanical watches, you can try cleaning the movement yourself. Start by disassembling the movement and removing any visible dirt or debris. Then, use a soft brush to gently clean the movement. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can damage the movement. Reassemble the movement carefully, ensuring all the components are correctly aligned.
- Clean the strap: The strap of your watch can accumulate dirt and sweat over time, affecting its appearance and comfort. To clean the strap, start by removing it from the watch. Then, wipe it down with a soft, dry cloth to remove any surface dirt or dust. If the strap is particularly dirty, you can gently scrub it with a mild soap and water. Like most parts of your watch, avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can damage the strap. Dry the strap thoroughly after cleaning, and use a soft cloth to buff away any streaks or residue. If the strap is made of leather, it is a good idea to apply a leather conditioner
- Protect it from impacts: Dress watches are typically not designed to withstand rough treatment or extreme conditions, so it is important to protect them from impacts and other potential sources of damage. Avoid dropping your watch or exposing it to strong shocks, as these can damage the movement or cause other internal components to malfunction.
- Keep it away from magnets: Magnets can affect the accuracy of a mechanical watch, as they can cause the balance wheel to become magnetized and disrupt the oscillations of the movement. To protect your watch from magnets, avoid placing it near electronic devices such as laptops, tablets, or smartphones. You should also avoid placing it near speakers or other sources of strong magnetic fields.
- Have it serviced regularly: To ensure that your dress watch is running smoothly and accurately, it is a good idea to have it serviced by a professional watchmaker every few years. During a service, the watchmaker will disassemble the movement, clean it, and replace any worn or damaged parts. They will also lubricate the movement and adjust it to ensure it runs accurately. Having your watch serviced regularly will help extend its lifespan and keep it running smoothly.
In conclusion, taking care of a dress watch requires basic upkeep and cleaning. By following these tips, you can help keep your watch in top condition and ensure that it lasts for years. Whether you wear your dress watch every day or only on special occasions, it is an investment that is worth taking care of.